UMBC is located in the “Baltimore-Washington Corridor”, an area with a high concentration of Federal and private research laboratories. Members of the Physics Dept at UMBC collaborate with colleagues at many of these facilities, including (but not limited to) those listed below:
- The U.S. Army Research Laboratory in Aberdeen, MD.
- The Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) located on The Johns Hopkins University (JHU) Homewood Campus in Baltimore, MD.
- The Johns Hopkins University (JHU) Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) in Laurel, MD.
- The National Security Agency (NSA) Laboratory for Physical Science (LPS)
- The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) in Gaithersburg, MD.
- The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC) in Greenbelt, MD.
- The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) National Environmental Satellite, Data, and Information Service (NESDIS)
- The U.S. Naval Research Laboratory (NRL)
In addition, the nation’s capital also hosts the headquarters of all federal agencies. Due to UMBC’s proximity to these facilities, many offer UMBC students opportunities via internships and/or fellowships.
Members of the Physics Dept at UMBC also collaborate with colleagues at a number of Research Universities in the local area, including